10.02.2011

My First Day in Toulouse: stories of fromage

After a less than pleasant flight over the pond and lugging 100 lbs of luggage, I arrived in Toulouse yesterday evening. The city is adorable, quaint, and on certain streets, I forget that I am in France (the number of halal butchers, spice shops and moroccan restaurants put me right back in the medina of Rabat... which I'm still undecided on). However, unlike Morocco, Toulouse has an abundance of delicious, diverse, and heart-warming cheese (as much as I loved my vache qui rit) My 24 hours in France can be broken down by these.

Last Night:
late night tomate mozza panini, overflowing (literally) with buffalo mozza. it takes a grilled cheese to the next level. we took these sandwiches to go and walked to the canal where we found a spot right on the water. unfortunately, due to the lack of lighting along the river, i was unable to document the deliciousness. so instead, ill just find the gooeyist picture i can find, which still isn't even that gooey. (thanks google).



Lunch Today:
i ordered a salade saumon. first of all, props to the friend for integrate lox into every meal. how has this not caught on in the states? in addition to the fresh, crisp lettuce, the salad came adorned with petit pieces of toast covered in melted goat cheese (more like a bucheron) and lightly drizzled honey. bomb.
(real pictures to come when i am able to unpack and find my camera converter... oops.)


Dinner Today:
i was introduced to the mecca of cheese: raclette. for those of you unaware of what this monstrosity is... it is a HUGE wedge of cheese (a bit sharper, but nothing too overpowering) that has a heat source above it. the cheese melts, you scrape it with a wooden spatula, and you spread it over everything. it is traditionally served with potatoes and charcuterie; however, for those averse to meat, its pretty fantastic on everything (bread, tomatoes, alone). it may even put fondue to shame... i'm not sure if i would go that far yet. Also - I think that most places now sell these hot plate versions of raclette; however, they seem much less fun than these archaic, steel contraptions we had:




et voila!



1 comment:

  1. I would much rather have la vache qui rit than the boring english/american version.

    ReplyDelete