5.20.2012

Smooth Moves

With summer fast approaching and attempting to wind down from far too much (or not enough) traveling, I have been cultivating a deep new bond with my vitamix. It was only through going cold turkey (the 13-pound contraption was the equivalent of at least one pair of leather boots, 10 cardigans, and a hair straightener), that I realized just how wonderful a delicious smoothie is to start your day. While I do love my vitamix for the quick concoctions of hummus-y, pesto-y, and soup-y variety, I have recently become obsessed with the smoothie. Not only are they deliciousfantastic, but they can be super healthy, packed with tons of yummy good stuff, and keep you full for a while. Let me break it down for you:

The Liquid (about 1 cup - 1 1/2 cups):

Since I have been attempting to restrict the amount of dairy in my diet, and because I really love the flavor, I usually use unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I recommend blue diamond, but any will do). Another yummy, lighter solution is coconut water. If you haven't caught on to the Rihanna-inspired trend, I highly recommend you do - it's great for rehydration after some hot yoga (or even a light jog around the park) and adds a little something extra flavorwise.

The Fruit (1/2 cup - 1 cup)

Go crazy. I prefer my fruit frozen because I like the consistency of the smoothie better, but get creative. My latest obsession is mango, peach, 1/2 banana and some raspberries. Beware of blueberries - they stain your teeth. SO if you are going to add them, I would supplement them with other fruits as well.

The Veg

I like to throw a little something in that I have in the fridge. I highly recommend kale - super-power packed with everything good for your body and doesn't have an overpoweringly 'green' taste. Carrots and beets add a bit of sweetness. Cucumbers are deliciously refreshing.

The Herb

I love to add mint - it soothes the tummy and is incredibly refreshing.

The Protein Punch

I like to add a scoop of protein powder. I recommend a whey protein with not too much other stuff in it. They have some great options that are low in carbs and calories that help you stay fuller for longer. I prefer vanilla, but they have some yummy other options too

The other goodies

I recently went on a whole foods shopping spree and picked up some fun new things to add in
1. green vibrance powder - you can never have too many greens
2. cacao powder - delicious taste and filled with antioxidants
3. maca powder - a hip new supplement that supports energy and hormone levels without a strong taste (add 1 tsp)
4. bee pollen! a high-density superfood that supposedly does everything wonderful for your body (1 tsp, too)
5. flax seed powder and flax seed oil!
6. 1/4 avocado or a spoonful of coconut oil for something a bit more substantial
7. almond butter! (especially with cacao powder and banana)

Sweetness Note

Depending on your sweet tooth, some healthier ways to sweeten up these smoothies is agave, brown rice syrup or dates!



ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment